The USAID Mission in Armenia awarded ME&A the Advanced Science & Partnerships for Integrated Resource Development (ASPIRED) Project in September 2015 under the Water and Development IDIQ (WADI). This four-year program supports sustainable water resource management and sustainable practices of water users at the core of the water-energy nexus through the use of science, technology, innovation and partnerships approaches in Armenia. The goal is to reduce the rate of groundwater extraction in Armenia’s Ararat Valley to sustainable levels.
Under ASPIRED, ME&A also collaborates with the USAID/Global Development LAB/Center for Data, Analysis and Research (DAR), the US Geological Survey and other relevant institutions to pilot innovative technologies for water conservation and fish farms; establish transformational partnerships; and promote evidence- and science-based water resource monitoring, planning and management. ME&A also collaborates with the private sector, academia and other donors to leverage their resources and expertise in Armenian water and energy sector.
The ASPIRED project builds on the success of the Clean Energy and Water Program (CEWP), which ME&A implemented for USAID/Armenia from 2011 to 2015. Similarly, the WADI IQC builds on the success of the multi-year USAID Integrated Water and Coastal Resources Management (IWCRM) Indefinite Quantity Contract (IQC), which ME&A held from 2005 until 2014. CEWP was an IWCRM task order. Known as the Water II IQC, the IWCRM was used by USAID missions, regional bureaus and USAID’s Washington-based offices to access technical expertise and field support for all aspects of integrated water and coastal resources management.
ME&A successfully implemented the following projects under the Water II IQC:
- Armenia Clean Energy & Water Program (2011 – 2015)
- Water Sector Communications and Knowledge Management (WS/CKM) Program (2011 – 2014)
- Mid-Term Performance Evaluation of USAID/Africa Sustainable Water and Sanitation in Africa (SUWASA) Project (2013)
- Tajikistan Safe Drinking Water Project (TSDWP) (2009 – 2012)
- Technical Assistance with Water Supply and Sanitation Infrastructure (2010 – 2012)
- Lebanon Water and Wastewater Sector Assessment (2010 – 2011)
- Water Tracking, Estimating & Reporting Support (WaTERS) Program (2006 -2011)
- Water User Association Support Program Assessment and New Project Design (2010)
- Independent Progress Review of the Pakistan Safe Drinking Water and Hygiene Promotion Project (2009)
- Morocco SIWM Evaluation (2008)
- Indonesia, Evaluation of the Environmental Services Project (ESP) (2007 -2008)